Sunday, January 11, 2009

DISCOVER FRESH HOPE

Review last week. Did you create your list of your desires to grow in God this year?

Understand Your Soul’s Deep Desire Psalm 42:1-5
Our most basic need in life is to know God intimately and sense His presence in our lives. Whether we are willing to admit it or not, all of us need God. When we don’t feel God’s presence how do what emotions do we feel?
Memories of intimate, joyful times with God should serve to strengthen us. They can however, make us more sad when we are feeling isolated because of the longing for those joyful times. Faith that God is with us through all times, good and bad – joyful and sad, gives us the ability to praise God in any circumstances. Remember the poem “Footprints”?

Footprints in the Sand
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky. In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there were one set of footprints. This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints. So I said to the Lord, "You promised me Lord, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there have only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?" The Lord replied, "The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand, is when I carried you." Mary Stevenson
What does this poem say about God with us?

Depend on God’s Faithful Love Psalm 42:6-11
Have you ever felt forgotten by God?
How did you renew your hope in Him?
How has God used your experience to help others?
Ask God to speak through you to others who may be struggling. God may want to use you to be the answer to their prayers for help and encouragement. Our job is to be available and obedient; God will take care of the rest.

Follow God’s Light and Truth Psalm 43:1-5
What advice would you give someone facing injustice or unfair treatment? What steps would you take to encourage that person to remain positive?
Everyone write responses down and keep them where you can draw on them when you need them. (Your Encouragement list)

Notice again that even though the Psalmist felt abandoned and rejected by God, he still praised God and calls out to God for help. Have you ever battled with these emotions?

Vs. 3 – Send Your light and Your truth; let them lead me…
Where do we find God’s light and truth?

Vs. 4 – Then I will come to the altar of God… The psalmist was thinking of the temple, a building where God dwelt. Where is your altar of God?

Challenge: Use your list of desires to grow in God this year. Keep your encouragement list with it. Review your list weekly and evaluate how you’ve done. Confess to God where you need help and praise God for works you see Him doing in and through you.

No comments: